An observational study was conducted during the total solar eclipse that occurred on August 21, 2017 in Benton County, Oregon, USA. The study included measurements of temperature, pressure, and wind parameters required to determine surface energy fluxes throughout the eclipse event. The experimental design used an array of sonic anemometers arranged to approximate a true ensemble measurement of boundary layer flow, and the data was used to evaluate the robustness of ensemble averaging to determine sensible heat flux over short time periods (<1 minute) using the eddy-covariance method. Other terms in the surface energy budget were also measured at the site for the period August 20-30. Temperature profiles were measured in the near surface boundary layer using a fiber-optic distributed temperature sensing system (up to 30m a.g.l.). Wind speeds in the lower boundary layer were measured using two backscattering 3-d wind lidars.
Correspondence regarding the data can be directed to Jason Kelley at email@example.com
Location: Benton County, Oregon (study conducted on private land located near Corvallis, Ore.)
Dates of experiment: 19-31 August 2017
Investigators: Chad Higgins (1), Steve Drake (1), Jason Kelley (1), Sonia Wharton (2), Derek Jensen (2), Holly Oldroyd (3).
(1) Department of Biological and Ecological Engineering, Oregon State University
(2) Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
(3) Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California Davis
Files Included under this DOI:
- Array_Metadata_Final.xlsx: tabular field data recording instrument heights and other site measurements
- Eclipse_survey.pdf: Projected image (map) of GPS survey data used in precise locating anemometer array.
- 2017Eclipse_Supplementary_maps.pdf: additional maps of the survey site with aerial lidar derived surface elevation and nearby vegetation (roughness element) heights
- 1mEC_19Aug-22Aug.mat: 1 minute flux calculations from IRGASON co-located with Surface Energy Budget sensors.
- 20mEC_19Aug-31Aug.mat: IRGASON flulx calculated for extended period during and following eclipse
- EC_01min.mat,_02min.mat,_20min.mat: Example ensemble flux calculations from sonic anemometer array for 1 minute, 2 minute and 20 minute averaging periods, respectively
- ANN-ECL_EB_DATA.mat: Data records from Surface Energy Budget Sensors
- ECens_Frontiers.m: Example eddy covariance ensemble calculations, data handling, and cross-correlation analysis. Output Variable names (stored in example data files) are indicated throughout in comments.
- LIDARwindprofiles_10min.xlsx: Summary data from LIDAR wind profilers
- Eclipse2017_README.txt: This text file.
Data and Resources
|Release Date|| |
|NKN Identifier|| |
|Spatial / Geographical Coverage Area|| |
POLYGON ((-123.69506835938 44.148316246791, -123.69506835938 44.713171565731, -123.17321777344 44.713171565731, -123.17321777344 44.148316246791))
|Spatial / Geographical Coverage Location|| |
Benton County, Oregon, USA
|Temporal Coverage|| |
Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 00:00 to Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 00:00
English (United States)
|Contact Name|| |
|Public Access Level|| |